Why Is My House So Staticky?

Static electricity typically refers to an electrical charge on the surface of a particular object. The electrical charge builds…
a person with glasses

Static electricity typically refers to an electrical charge on the surface of a particular object. The electrical charge builds up and transfers from that object and releases electricity. This produces a feeling of shock. A lot of the time, it’s annoying. But thankfully, it usually isn’t painful. Static is mostly just a nuisance, especially when it causes objects to stick to you. Have you recently noticed that your home gets staticky? If so, why is that, and is there anything you could do about the static? In this guide, you’ll learn more about what could be causing the static in your home and how to fix it.

There’s a lack of humidity.


If you’re on the internet searching “Why is my house so staticky?” then you’ll find that the common answer is a general lack of humidity. In fact, static charges are most common in dry climates. This is because low humidity contributes to both a positive charge and a negative charge. So, simmer a pot of water, turn on your humidifier, and notice how dry air truly contributes to the static electricity in your home.

Your house is too cold.

Another factor to static electricity in the home is a low temperature. That’s why it’s so common for you to experience static shock during the winter months. Make sure to turn up the temperature to decrease the number of static shocks you’ll experience. But keep in mind that warming up your home affects the humidity. In fact, it decreases the amount of moisture indoors. So, you’ll want to maintain those humidity levels by using a humidifier.

There aren’t any plants in your home.


Did you know that plants help maintain higher humidity levels in your home? This is all thanks to the fact that they are full of moisture. Just like humans, plants use water to thrive. Keeping indoor plants at home can reduce static electricity buildup, and it’s also a great way to beautify your home. Plus, indoor plants can purify the air, thus making your home beautiful, clean, and static-free.

You’re wearing synthetic fabrics that hold an electrical charge.

Fabric can cause static electricity buildup, especially when it’s made of synthetic materials. In order to prevent this, you’ll want to use dryer sheets when you dry your clothes. You can also rub a dryer sheet over any of your furniture upholstery to reduce the amount of static that builds up in the material. Make sure to use a fabric softener on your items to avoid building up a charge faster. This is typically what causes the shock when you touch something. Choose clothing items with natural fibers to avoid a zap. You can also carry something metal in your pocket in order to ground yourself.

The floors collect static.


If you have carpet flooring, then you’re likely familiar with the fact that it collects static. A fabric softener spray or anti-static treatment can help you avoid this. Just spray a little bit on the carpet to avoid annoying shocks.

Now that you’ve solved the mysteries of static, you can use the tips written above to avoid those pesky electrical charges. Most people also don’t realize that static electricity in the wrong environment can very well pose a danger. While it typically isn’t harmful to the average human, that doesn’t mean that it can’t cause harm at all. Sometimes, you might even notice that the transfer of electricity can create a huge spark. This is because static electricity is a representation of an imbalance between positive and negative electrical charges in an object. So, it’s important that you learn what causes it and take the actions to prevent it when you can.