The Dangers of Carbon Monoxide and How To Stay Safe

Carbon monoxide, or CO, is a deadly gas that can be fatal if inhaled in large quantities. It is…
a person looking at a tablet

Carbon monoxide, or CO, is a deadly gas that can be fatal if inhaled in large quantities. It is produced by cars, campfires, stoves, and generators. Appliances that produce CO should be kept clean so they don’t produce this deadly gas. Carbon monoxide can also be produced by faulty heating systems and blocked vents. It is important to install a carbon monoxide detector in your home to warn you of high levels of carbon monoxide. Keep reading to learn more about how to stay safe with a CO detector.

Dangers of High Carbon Monoxide Levels


When carbon monoxide levels are high, it can cause death within minutes. This is because the CO can replace the oxygen in your blood, preventing your body from getting the oxygen that it needs to function. If you need to figure out where to install carbon monoxide detector, you can reach out to a heating and cooling service. Keep in mind that carbon monoxide poisoning can cause symptoms like headaches, dizziness, nausea, and vomiting. So, if you experience any of these symptoms, it’s important that you get out of the area and seek medical assistance.

Keeping Appliances Clean


Carbon monoxide is a silent killer that is often mistaken for the flu. It is an odorless, colorless gas that can be deadly in high doses. CO is produced when fuels like gasoline, coal, wood, or kerosene or lamp oil are not burned completely. Appliances like ovens, stoves, fireplaces, and furnaces can produce carbon monoxide if they are not properly maintained. There are a few things you can do to stay safe from carbon monoxide poisoning. First, make sure that you have a professional install your carbon monoxide detector. Then, you should make sure that all of your appliances are properly maintained and cleaned. Appliances that produce carbon monoxide include ovens, stoves, furnaces, water heaters, and boilers. So, if they’re faulty or dirty, it increases the levels of CO it produces.

Locating Leaks

Every year, there are an estimated 430 deaths in the United States from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning. The gas can build up indoors, especially in winter, because homes are tightly sealed to conserve energy. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are similar to the flu. If the source of the carbon monoxide leak is not immediately apparent, make sure all of the gas appliances in your home are properly vented. Do not use portable generators indoors, in the garage, or near the home. Install carbon monoxide detectors in your home and check the batteries regularly. If you have a coal or wood stove, make sure the flue is open and the chimney is clean. Or if you have a gas leak, leave the house immediately and call the gas company.

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless, and poisonous gas. It is produced when any fuel, such as gasoline, wood, coal, natural gas, or propane, is burned. When carbon monoxide builds up in the air, it can cause death. Carbon monoxide is most dangerous when it is breathed in high levels. Levels that are high enough to cause death can be produced by appliances that are not working properly, such as furnaces, stoves, water heaters, and generators.

To protect yourself and your family from carbon monoxide, install a carbon monoxide detector. A carbon monoxide detector will sound an alarm when carbon monoxide levels in the air reach a dangerous level. If the alarm goes off, get out of the house and call the fire department. Do not go back into the house until the fire department tells you it is safe to do so. These are just a few ways to identify carbon monoxide in your home and stay safe.